that's the new phrase i'm coining after this week. honestly, i look back over this week (and maybe even spilling a bit into the week prior) and i simply cannot believe how much i've 'achieved' while at home with my kids for the long weekend (and the long evenings leading up to it).
i guess i've earned it. all those resumes. it was like being sent to HR hell. and, of course, i'm in between atlases (the next writing week begins dec 5).
but all that is really just lame justification for why i spent soooo much time in my pajamas over the last 10 days or so.
it's been magical.
it's been good dad/kid time too. i didn't do all of this with my kids (certainly not the R-rated movies or M-rated games), but i did do an awful lot with them on my lap or snuggled up beside me on the couch.
to say we've 'bonded' would be to under-represent the fact that we more oozed-together with sheer fantastical lethargy than just 'hung out.'
anyway, this is what i did:
i've read 3 novels
the man who was thursday, by GK Chesterton
- boring, then brilliant, mystery about anarchy and theology
behemoth, by scott westerfield
- teenage SF about an alternate WW2, very cool
academ's fury, by jim butcher
- pure pulp, love jim butcher's dresden files, but am still undecided about this series
i've watched 5 movies
law abiding citizen, starring gerard butler
- think 'saw' meets 'mission impossible', definately rated-R
the hurt locker, starring jeremy renner
- no plot, but totally scintillating
get him to the greek, starring jonah hill and russel brand
- this was the filthiest movie i've ever seen...please, mom, don't go rent this and get mad at me :)
tangled, starring mandy moore
- this movie was great except for the singing. the singing was crap. it wrecked everything else.
jackass, starring johnny knoxville
- the original, watched purely for Carmel's benefit :)
i've finished 6 video games on the PS3
fallout: new vegas
- game of the year, i think...but somehow i screwed something up and will need to replay it from the beginning. oh well.
call of duty: black opps
- great story. not much of a multi-player guy, so it was too short, but still great.
star wars: the force unleashed II
- loved this.
- this was fun, but very...japanese
spider man: shattered dimensions
- this was stupid X2
james bond: blood stone (still got 2 levels to go on this one, i think)
- this was super fun, easy, but super fun
i've watched two cartoon series (about the 1st half of each)
robotech: the macross saga
- because transformers weren't the first robots in disguise...sadly, however, anna now wants to grow up and be Min Mei (my apologies, future son-in-law, for the sing-song voice and persistently hurt feelings)
voltron: defender of the universe
- honestly, i don't know how anyone could make a cartoon this convoluted, weird, and dumb...and yet, it's great. jake's new favorite.
and, just to make myself sound a little bit spiritual after all, i've read richard rohr's 'the naked now' and 3 separate books on the liturgical calendar (from an anglican, cathlolic, and methodist perspective).
not sure what i'll do this week. hopefully more of the same before i have to go back to being an adult with a job and responsibilities and stuff.
we'll see :)
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad